Sunday, June 6, 2010

Never Again

I am never making this dish ever again. Not because it was particularly bad, it was decent enough, but the drama that ensued from this dish is enough to turn me off from it.


What dish caused so much turmoil in my household might you ask? Luscious Linguini with Manila Clams. I think objectively I can recognize that I made this dish well; however, I was not enthusiastic about this dish nor were the other members of my family mostly due to the fact that we're not big into little neck clams.


The dish was easy enough to make, though cleaning the clams took a while. The last thing I wanted was sand in my white wine clam sauce! But actually cooking everything took no more than 20 minutes. And after the 20 minutes of cooking, the presentation looked nice, too.


Sadly, my sister left the leftovers out on the counter (along with a huge mess created with the help of her friends last night), and my mother was very displeased about this when she came downstairs in the morning. However, my sister was not around to take the brunt of my mother's frustration about the mess, I was though so I had to deal with the ire of a 50 year old woman at 7am in the morning. Needless to say, not fun and just drama drama drama. All because my sister left a bowl of linguini and pasta on the counter, totally stinking up the kitchen. She has a serious inability to take responsibility for her actions or think about other people (she also left a window open, a window she removed the screen from, and left the lights on).

So, maybe you have more responsible people in your family, or perhaps you enjoy little neck clams more than my family. If so, make the dish. Like I said, objectively I think I made it well, however we're just not big fans. If you're a fan you'd probably like this.


Anyway, check back soon. Some more food and thoughts (food for thought?)!

3 comments:

  1. Why do I not wonder why your mom made such a "stink" over clams being left-out all night?
    I just found your blog, have you ever made the pasta with egg dish? is that in the book?
    Its pasta with bacon I think, and a raw egg beaten-in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're thinking of Carbonara, which is also made with panchetta and a raw egg sauce that cooks from the heat of the pasta. A delicious dish for sure, but it's not in this cookbook; however, it's a very popular Italian dish, so I don't think you'll have a hard time finding an authentic recipe for it online or in any other Italian cookbook for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. njhousewives.blogspot.comJune 8, 2010 at 7:08 AM

    Oh thanks! Yes that is the name. I did find a recipe and I even made sure that I had all of the ingreidients on hand but it was a little intimidating for me so I never got around to trying it.
    I noticed the A&S deli on last night's episode and it looked like a good place to shop.
    You really are lucky that you can purchase your stuff there as you work through the book!

    ReplyDelete