Thursday, May 13, 2010

The First Supper

So mom and I have just finished the first supper! And let me say that after a few glasses of wine, forty minutes in the kitchen, and a serving of some delicious pasta I am totally satiated!

So, what did I make? Penne with Portobello Mushroom Sauce! I was a little ambivalent about this dish at first because of how I feel about portobellos. We haven't always had the best relationship, and I sometimes find portobellos a bit overwhelming. Last time I used them it was a disaster. However, it worked really well in this dish. Very delicious, and a hearty thank you to The Wine Seller in Ridgewood, NJ for directing me to it!

But I seriously cooked the hell out of those portobellos! I mean, they were sauteeing for nearly 30 minutes! However, I am glad that I tried this recipe as the end result was really very delicious, and once again has made me rethink the way I feel about mushrooms (I'm totally working on working with them!). I did also enjoy that there was red wine vinegar in this dish. In fact, it was probably the addition of the vinegar that helped balance out the mushrooms to make them more agreeable to my personal tastes! Further, the wine I bought to drink tonight was also an acidic wine.



For the most part I followed the recipe, I might have added a bit more garlic than instructed, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE garlic! Cannot get enough of it. Though, I will say that I do sometimes have a tendency to over-season. I'm a former smoker, so I used to be able to handle industrial strength spice. Now that I've stopped I need to learn that I don't need to over season now that my ability to taste has made a come back!


On the whole a good recipe. I would recommend it and I would definitely say cook the portobellos as long as you can!

i apologize for the cell phone quality photos; i was too lazy to find my good digital camera (I had just gotten back from work so cut me some slack)!

No comments:

Post a Comment